Just like every mechanic needs wrenches and all those other fix-it thingies, every writer needs a toolbox. A carpenter wouldn’t leave the house without a hammer, and if you want to be a Serious Writer, you wouldn’t wake up every morning without:
1. A notebook, obviously.
2. A pen, obviously.
3. Five ideas that will materialize into nothing.
4. One idea that will half-materialize.
5. An ego—
6. —tempered by unhealthy bouts of self-loathing.
7. A great book to read that will inevitably materialize into unhealthy bouts of self-loathing.
8. Fifty unnecessary things you need to do other than write.
9. At least one trusted reader who will always tell you the truth.